Africa No Filter (ANF) is looking for four female journalists from around Africa to join its inaugural cohort of fellows.
Within ANF, Storify Africa is a narrative shift and storytelling program. They collaborate with organizations who wish to use stories to convey and highlight the problems that matter to them on the continent, focusing on the voices and views of individuals they serve.
2022 ANF Storify Africa Fellowship Details
The Storify Africa Fellowship prepares young and rising African storytellers to tell their tales through training, supporting, and building their potential. Fellows assist organizations in shifting preconceptions and highlighting their impact in a way that avoids promoting harmful narratives about Africa.
Each cohort of Fellows is designated to a certain organization and topic area, and they will be trained in best-practice feature writing approaches and tools in order to delve further into the challenges. As Fellows, you’ll have complete editorial control over the multimedia tales you create, including written, video, and photographic submissions. You’ll also get regular editorial help and advice on story development, editing, and fact-checking stories.
The Fellows’ stories will be published and distributed with full bylines through ANF’s story agency, bird, and its media network. As Fellows, you’ll be part of a big and expanding network of narrative journalists and artists from around Africa.
ANF Storify Africa Fellowship Eligibility
- Open to female journalists based in East Africa, West Africa (including one Francophone country), and Southern Africa.
- Stories are expected to be written and produced in English. Final drafts will be also translated into French.
Fellows should bring the following skills and experience:
- At least five years of experience in journalism, writing, or editing content. Experience writing feature stories is a plus, as is photography and basic video production.
- Proficiency in English – both writing and speaking.
- Access to a reliable computer, internet, smartphone (or camera or recorder).
- Creative thinker, curious, interested in and thoughtful about shifting the negative perceptions of Africa by Africans.
- Able to commit to at least three months, for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
Benefits of ANF Storify Africa Fellowship
- Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of USD $500 for the duration of the Fellowship.
How to Apply for ANF Storify Africa Fellowship
- Submit a CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in this fellowship, the experience you bring, and what you hope to get out of it
- 2-3 writing samples. You may also include any photography or video production projects
Submit applications by 11 February 2022 to email@example.com.