Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships 2023 for Emerging Scholars
Emerging academics are encouraged to apply for Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships so that they can complete work on projects that are connected to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme, the African American Art History Initiative, or the Paul Revere Williams Research Project.
In their time at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, recipients may work on research projects, bring their dissertations to a successful conclusion, or enhance the material in their dissertations in preparation for publication. Fellows use the Getty collections, attend a weekly lecture on an annual theme, and engage in the Getty’s intellectual life.
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships Eligibility
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants who received their degree before September 1, 2019 should apply for a Getty Scholar Grant.
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships Benefits
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellowships are for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $35,000.
- Both fellowships may provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, a travel stipend, and healthcare options. These terms apply as of June 2022 and the terms and length of grants are subject to change. Health and safety guidelines for grantees may also be imposed.
How to Apply for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; and Confirmation letter by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application.